As one might expect there are fewer websites dealing solely with being a Trans Christian when compared with those dealing with being a Lesbian or Gay Christian, but many of the latter also deal with other parts of the LGBTQ+ spectrum, and frequently include LGBTQ+ theology. The sites below are, in the main, Trans centric, and there is a fuller list at the end of the document. Anyway, here are a few resources and sites worth exploring:
- “The New Woman” by Charity Norman. First published in Great Britain in 2015 by Allen & Unwin. Paperback ISBN 978 1 74331 875 1. E-book ISBN 978 1 92526 671 9. Charity Norman volunteered for several years on the New Zealand Lifelines helpline, where she encountered many transgender people as part of her work. This novel grew from the stories she heard from people she spoke to on that helpline. This book received enthusiastic praise despite it’s difficult subject matter when Charity Norman appeared on Simon Mayo’s “Drivetime” Book Club. I cannot recommend this highly enough, because it presents a real-life context and scenario for someone struggling with gender dysphoria, not just portraying the doubts and fears of being in a situation they can’t control, but describing the very real reactions of family and friends. This is a brilliant introduction to the issues if you have never come across gender dysphoria – a must read! It has no theological angle though there is one passage that gets very close to presenting a beautiful picture of Christ.
- If you haven’t seen it, watch the film The Danish Girl starring Eddie Redmayne. Not perfect, but very helpful.
- MindLine Trans+ 0300 330 5468, based in Bristol, but they are “a national helpline, you can call us from anywhere in the UK”. https://bristolmind.org.uk/help-and-support/mindline-transplus/. “The MindLine Trans+ provides a safe place to talk about your feelings confidentially. We don’t record calls nor ask for any personal details. Our listeners will try understand the multitude of feelings and concerns that may be going on for you. We are here to listen and offer our support.”
- For any US friends: Trans Lifeline (https://www.translifeline.org/) is a trans-led organization that connects trans people to the community, support, and resources they need to survive and thrive. Available 7am-1am PST / 9am-3am CST / 10am-4am EST. Call 877-565-8860.
If you know of a reputable UK or European helpline, please contact me.
- http://www.transcentralpa.org/resources.cfm TransCentralPA is an American-based company committed to providing advocacy and caring support for transgender individuals, their significant others, families, friends and allies. TransCentralPA also provides gender education and information to businesses, organizations, educational institutions and governmental agencies.
- http://www.bibleandhomosexuality.org/what-does-the-bible-say-about-transgender-people/ Rev’d Dr Jonathan Tallon is a New Testament lecturer and early Church researcher, who is the host of an excellent website exploring the LGBTQ+ issues and I recommend you spend time reading through his material, especially if you have questions.
- http://www.transgenderlaw.org/ TLPI are a non-profit organization American-based company dedicated to engaging in effective advocacy for transgender people in society. The TLPI brings experts and advocates together to work on law and policy initiatives designed to advance transgender equality.
- http://www.chicagonow.com/trans-girl-cross This is a site well worth spending some time reading. There are some problems with this site in Europe since the GDPR legislation, but you can view it if you use a VPN attached to a server in the US.
- https://whosoever.org/ Founded in 1996 and respected by many major figures within the LGBTQ+ community. There is a wealth of good materials on the site which was relaunched around Christmas 2019. Please go and explore their material, which I highly commend, because it is produced in a professional and educated manner.
- http://religiondispatches.org/transgender-and-christian-finding-identity/ This is now an archive website, but still worth checking out. The current ‘live’ site is https://rewire.news/primary-topic/lgbtq/
- http://www.transfaithonline.org/ I haven’t had a chance to read too much, but it seems to be well laid out. It isn’t a Christian focussed site but directed at people of any faith, so be aware.
- https://www.qchristian.org/ They say: “We are a diverse community with varied backgrounds, cultures, theologies and denominations, drawn together through our love of Christ and our belief that every person is a beloved child of God.”
- http://queergrace.com/ An online encyclopaedia for LGBTQ and Christian life
- https://www.stonewall.org.uk/truth-about-trans This is a helpful background piece on Trans and Trans attitudes.
And a fun one to finish with. Consider the Kobudai fish which can change gender as shown on the BBC series “Blue Planet 2”. If changing genders is so very wrong, why did God create this fish? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2gCkNYpCZVSZTpr5tsqlfjn/filming-fish-that-change-sex. It’s not the only one, others being: Asian Sheepshead Wrasse, Clown Fish, Sea snails, Hawkfish, Black Sea Bass and Mushroom Corals, whilst other creatures are hermaphrodite (having both male and female sex organs).